Listen to the ABC Coast FM Radio Mary River Turtle Broadcast
|Ian Connellan – Part 1||Ian Connellan – Part 2||Marilyn Connell – Part 1||Marilyn Connell – Part 2|
The intent of this page is to facilitate the sharing of information and research relevant to the Mary River turtle (Elusor macrurus).
Tiaro & District Landcare Group does not necessarily endorse all of the findings or projects which triggered some of the research.
The most comprehensive publication of Australian freshwater turtles. It abounds with quality photographs, information on their behaviour, life history and discovery and taxonomy.
- Cann, John. 1998, Australian Freshwater turtles, Beaumont Publishing, Singapore
- A handy field guide published as one in the series of Wild Australia Guides published by Steve Parish.
- Cann, John. 2008, Freshwater turtles, Steve Parish Publishing, Archerfield, Australia
- A complete guide to the world’s nearly 300 species of turtles, includes description of each species, distribution maps and photographs of each species.
- Bonin, F. Devaux, B. Dupre, A. 2006, Turtles of the World, John Hopkins University Press, Maryland.
- An informative, easy to read publication about the Mary River turtle.
- Flakus, S., Connell, M. 2008, The Mary River turtle, yesterday, today, tomorrow.. Tiaro & District Landcare Group, Queensland.
- Something About Mary is a colourful new publication focusing on 5 threatened aquatic species of the Mary River published by the Mary River Catchment Coordinating Committee. – Download Here
REPORTS, RESEARCH PAPERS
- Turtles in Trouble The World’s 25+ Most Endangered Tortoises & Freshwater Turtles 2011
- Identification key to the freshwater turtles of the Mary River
- Turtles of the Mary River Description
- Tiaro Landcare Mary River turtle Report 2011 – 2012
- Mary River Turtle Conservation Project 2010/11 nesting season
- Approved Conservation Advice for Elusor macrurus
- Temperature fails to influence hatchling sex in another Genus and Species of Chelid turtle Elusor macrurus
- Mary River Turtle Protection 2005 2006 nesting season
- QWI Appendix C15 Freshwater Turtles in the Mary River
- Independent Expert Review of the information provided to Traveston Dam EIS that relates to the Mary River turtle
- Threatened Fauna of the Mary River Catchment Poster
- April 2013 Newsletter
- Paper presented by PhD candidate, Mariana Micheli-Campbell at 9th Annual Symposium on Conservation & Biology of Tortoises & Freshwater Turtles, Orlando Florida. This presentation won “Best Student Presentation Award”. Effects of warmer than normal incubation temperature upon the behavioral function of the hatchling freshwater turtles
- Cann, J., Legler, J., 1994 The Mary River Tortoise: a new Genus and Species of short-necked Chelid from Queensland, Australia (Testudines; Pleuroduria) Chelonian Conservation Biology pages 81-96
- Clark, N.J., Gordos, M.A., Franklin, C.E. 2008, Diving behaviour, aquatic respiration & blood respiration properties; a comparison of hatchling and juvenile Australian turtles. Journal of Zoology Issue 275:399-406
- Flakus, S.P. 2002, Ecology of the Mary River turtle, Elusor macrurus. Masters thesis, The University of Qld.
- Micheli-Campbell, M.A., Campbell, H.A., Cramp, R.L., Booth, D.T., Franklin, C.E., Staying cool, keeping strong: incubation temperature affects performance in a freshwater turtle. Article first published online: 19 JUL 2011 Journal of Zoology DOI: 10.1111/j.1469-7998.2011.
00840.x. Full article available from the Journal or contact the author: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University of Queensland School of Biological Science Mary River turtle tracking project. Follow this link http://www.uq.edu.au/eco-lab/mary-river-turtle-tracking-project